My wife has a very good oral hygiene as she always does what is generally recommended to keep her teeth clean, healthy and white.
Yet, she still has some kinds of stains in between her teeth, which has pushed me to think why this is happening to her.
I’ve come up with this complete article that gives clear answers to this issue, which is not only my wife’s but also an issue that many people are suffering from.
Indeed, teeth whitening is generally an easy process that anyone could have, but it is not as simple as you may imagine!
In other words, you need to follow the right steps before expecting having whiter teeth, thus a better smile. I am saying this because, many people who’ve whitened their teeth before, especially at home, forgot to look after stains (brown, black …) in between their teeth.
So, even if they’ve managed to use some whitening products here and there, they still have brown stains between teeth. Thus, the end goal, which is a better smile, was not totally achieved.
Whitening between teeth is a very important part of the whitening puzzle in general. Missing it is like to miss wearing your shoes before you go to work!
To whiten between teeth you should generally follow 2 steps:
- Remove and clean Stains between your teeth (These stains could be yellow, brown, black, dark …). The nature of these stains is usually dental plaque and most often come from foods like coffee.
- Go through conventional whitening procedures at-home or in-office depending on your budget.
These kinds of stains are in most cases visible between front teeth. In this case, this makes your smile look pretty bad. At least in my opinion!
How to whiten between teeth by removing stains directly (straightforward approach)
First, let’s target those stains in between your teeth directly!
Keep in mind that these stains could have different colors.
The most common ones are brown and yellow but usually this is a sign of dental plaque formation. To do this you should follow some of these methods I am about to show you.
This is your number one weapon against stains and plaque between teeth, trust me on that (Check this Good Waterflosser Here on Amazon)!
If you are not flossing, not only you are allowing stains to form between each tooth and the next one. But also you are missing almost 50% of your oral hygiene which is a big fat number!
What makes me also putting this tip on the number one spot is the fact that many people are overlooking flossing. In the best cases they usually brush, sometimes rinse and that’s it!
If so, you won’t be able to get rid of obscure stains and dental plaque between teeth. And guess what!
Over time these stains will tend to turn yellow, brown and sometimes black. Thus, this will affect your smile very badly!
The best way to go in my opinion is to schedule a minute of flossing an hour before going to bed. By doing so, you will remove foods stuck in between teeth of the whole day. So you won’t give them the opportunity to turn to permanent stains in the future.
After doing that you can brush your teeth like you usually do and you will be just fine.
Of course if you use a dental floss it will do the job pretty well. However, due to lack of comfort using it and a little risk to injure your gum during the process you can approach it otherwise.
In fact, if you want to take your flossing routine to the next level you must use a water flosser. Not only it is much more effective than regular dental floss but also it is much easier to use and safer for your gum.
I’ve written an info rich article about waterpik WP-660 which is in my opinion the best water flosser out there!
2. Interdental brush
My wife has used them pretty recently and I’ve noticed a very positive change in her teeth. They’ve become much cleaner than usual!
Personally, I didn’t use them much as my teeth are very tight and as I prefer to water floss instead. But, as I’ve said many people including my wife have had tons of success with it.
Interdental brush has very soft bristles on it and usually has many sizes depending on how tight your teeth are.
In addition to its ability to remove and prevent stains between teeth, interdental brush has other positive benefits:
- It prevents cavities that you may have between teeth.
- By using it you will also prevent gum issues like gingivitis.
- It would be very unlikely to suffer from any kinds of receding gums.
- You will be able to prevent tooth loosening especially when you get older.
You may think that using an interdental brush is an alternative to flossing; however this is not really the case. Indeed, you should rather use it as well as flossing.
Actually, flossing cleans in the area in which each tooth touches the other. Interdental brushing on the other hand, cleans the upper areas (called triangle) closer to the gum.
All in all and to put it in a nutshell the process should be like this:
- Use an interdental brush to clean all these little triangles.
- Floss all your teeth for a minute or so.
- Then finally brush the way you usually does.
By doing so, you will make a huge step towards whitening in between your teeth.
You may have some dental work like implants and wondering whether this would work in this case. In fact, it works in that case as well as your normal teeth, it doesn’t make any difference.
You can check this highly reliable interdental brush on Amazon to have more ideas about it.
Finally if you are looking for more tips to use interdental brush in a correct way, check this video below:
Rinsing is another easy way to take care of these stains pretty easily. In fact, water or liquids in general could reach all places in your mouth without the need to force that (Check this Good Mouthwash Here on Amazon).
There are 4 different ways to rinse depending on your preferences:
- Drinking water is a rinsing form. Of course, the only difference is that you won’t spit out the water. The more you drink the more you give your teeth and mouth the opportunity to be cleaned. Not to mention water other benefits for your body that you already know!
- You can use warm water to clean your mouth, preferably each time after you eat a meal. By doing so, foods you’ve just eaten won’t stay in between your teeth and form stains afterword.
- It is also possible to use a regular mouthwash after you brush. This is very helpful for that same purpose. In addition to that you will have the opportunity to improve your oral health in general.
- Finally, if you want to make the process highly successful, you could opt for a mouthwash with whitening properties. There are several brands available in any market place that could do the job for you.
Whitening mouthwashes are also notorious for removing stains around and between teeth. Just try to pick a reliable one to avoid any kind of side-effect.
In addition, these mouthwashes help you to keep a fresh breathe all day long. Not to mention their ability to take care of your gums to avoid typical gum issues.
If you are not sure what whitening mouthwash you should pick. I’ve already written a helpful article on the best 18 whitening mouthwashes in the market.
In this article you will find a combination of mouthwashes peroxide bases, and others which are totally based on natural ingredients. Such as oil pulling …
4. Brush your teeth
You’ve probably expected this tip to be on the number one spot. Yet it comes as number four!
Of course brushing is a crucial step towards clean, healthy and white teeth. But not until you do it the right way.
Obviously, you can use a manual toothbrush and it would work just fine to provide you with the results you are looking for. However, personally I don’t see why not making it almost 100 times more successful.
Yes I’ve said 100 times!
Actually, if you use a reliable electric toothbrush (Check my favorite electric brush Here on Amazon) you will make that happen by considering several factors:
- An electric toothbrush motions is a lot more than a regular one. Thus, dental plaque around and between teeth is much more easily removable.
- These kinds of toothbrushes brush each tooth separately. So the plaque and brown stains are more likely to be banished from each and every tooth.
- This tool is much easier to use than regular brushes as the latters need you to trigger each movement unlike electric ones.
- Electric toothbrush gives you the ability to brush following different modes. This depends on whether you want to clean, massage or take care of sensitive teeth in case.
As far as I am concerned the best way to go is to brush twice a day for 2 minutes. That’s what dentists usually recommend.
By the way, electric toothbrushes take this feature into consideration. In fact, most of them have a timer (usually 2 minutes) to push you to complete this time frame and also not to exceed it!
The toothbrush that I personally recommend is Oral-B Genius Pro 8000. It is undeniably the best in the market today.
5. Teeth Whitening 4 you
Probably you’ve heard about natural whitening home remedies that you can prepare to improve your smile.
Of course you could find on the internet many blog posts breaking down these kinds of stuff. Personally, I Trust those who’ve got pretty high credentials as I wouldn’t put something I am not totally sure about on my teeth!
That’s why I’ve made several researches and I found Teeth Whitening 4 you (Check it Here on Vendor’s Site).
This is a trustworthy natural teeth whitening program that teaches you the most reliable whitening remedies you could prepare yourself.
I’ve chosen to talk about it in this post for the following reasons:
- Most remedies in this program are based on liquids. This gives you the ability to whiten and remove stains between your teeth easily.
- The ingredients are very cheap and your kitchen may already be equipped with some of them.
- All ingredients are 100% natural.
- This program is pretty unique. Actually, I’ve made further researches to find other similar programs. Yet I couldn’t find anyone talking about that subject!
- The writer of this program is a highly experienced former dental nurse with 17 years of experience in the business.
You can check this complete review I’ve written about this program. Hopefully it will bring some answers to your concerns.
6. Healthy Foods
This is a very important tip that you should not take for granted. In fact, consuming crunchy fruits and vegetables on a daily basis whitens in between your teeth naturally.
The contact of those foods (especially the fibers) with teeth makes it somewhat like a natural brushing session.
In addition, these foods stimulate saliva production which washes and cleans your teeth naturally.
There are several examples of foods you could consume for that matter such as apple, carrot, Cauliflower as well as other ones.
What I suggest you to do now, is to search for the most affordable crunchy foods out there available in your country and include them in your next shopping list.
Let’s do it!
7. In-office treatment
Your dentist can take care of stains between teeth for you. This is a legit way to do it and to do it perfectly.
Some dentists may opt for laser teeth whitening which consists of whitening each tooth separately.
Yet, I have 2 concerns about this approach:
- The cost which is usually very high, unless you’ve got access to a big budget.
- I am still not confident about the sensitivity thing. If you’ve got pretty sensitive teeth I am not totally sure whether this would be with or without consequences.
How to get rid of brown stains between teeth indirectly
After you’ve learnt some tips that would help you to target stains and plaque in between teeth directly, let’s talk about complementary ways to complete the process.
Below few more tips to do it!
8. Teeth Whitening Pen
I talk usually about whitening pens (Check this Pen on Vendor’s Site) as they are pretty under-used by those who are seeking for a better smile.
That’s somehow a shame as it is probably the easiest whitening product you could possibly use. All you need to do is to twist the pen, apply the gel and wait a little bit for the whitening agent to work.
I’ve chosen to talk about it here because it targets each tooth separately which allows you to take care of it thoroughly before moving up to the next tooth. Thus, you will be able to whiten even the most obscure places between teeth.
I can’t deny the fact that it is not easy to find a reliable brand selling whitening pens. That’s why, I’ve put together this article on the best whitening pens in the market today.
You will find also some pens based completely on natural ingredients such as coconut oil.
9. Teeth Whitening Strips
I personally like this whitening product (Check my favorite Whitestrip Here on Amazon) not only for the ease to use it, but also for the results you may get.
Indeed, the results are almost professional if not completely so and you could reach them in the timespan of few weeks.
Unlike trays with whitening gel that you need to apply for more than an hour, applying whitening strips for half an hour is more than enough.
What makes from this product effective to whiten in between teeth is the fact that the pre-coated gel could reach those places and whiten them.
The most established product you could possibly provide for yourself is Crest WhiteStrips. You can learn more about it Right HERE.
10. Avoid Staining Foods
This is something you should not overlook by any means. Actually, even if you adopt the best whitening methods in the world and continue to consume staining foods recklessly you will continue to have all kinds of stains between teeth, period.
Staining foods like soda, coffee, fast food etc … could easily cause brown or black stains between your teeth and tarnish your beautiful smile.
That’s why you should watch out what you eat as much as possible!
I am really happy that you are looking for ways to get rid of stains between your teeth and to make these places whiter.
I say this because many people forget about that, and only focus on the appearing places of teeth.
So Hopefully you’ve leant something new and you are ready to take care of these kinds of discolorations.
Now I really want to hear from you!
Did you ever have this issue?
Did you try any whitening method before?
After reading this article what method are you more willing to try?
Let me know in the comment section below …